Forum Admin

Chris Stuart is Vice President of Top Guard Security, headquartered in Norfolk, VA. Employed in the private security industry since 1988, he has served on several ASIS Councils and the Commonwealth of Virginia’s DCJS Private Security Services Advisory Board.

Mr. Stuart earned an undergraduate and graduate degree from Old Dominion University. He has written numerous security articles and blogs, as well as being quoted often on security related subjects.

Dr. Benjamin Dobrin is Dean of the D. Henry Watts School of Professional Studies at Virginia Wesleyan University. He is also a professor and the chair of the Department of Social Work.

Dr. Dobrin holds a Ph.D. in Public Health from the University of South Florida College of Public Health and a Master of Social Work from the University of Pennsylvania. He received his undergraduate degree in sociology/psychology from the College of William and Mary.

Vice President Stuart and Dr. Dobrin will be available on Friday, June 12th at 1 PM to provide answers, so check back in to hear their thoughts. 

Quote 0 0
Douglas L. Smith Doug Smith
Gentlemen: I am looking forward to this discussion. Thank you for taking time to share your very relevant insights as we work to get this region back open for business. 
Quote 0 0
Alisa Crider acrider
Good Afternoon Chris and Ben. It's such a pleasure to have you both on the forum today. There are many safety protocols and security measures so all of our 757 businesses can reopen with confidence. Temperature scans have become one of the tools to both raise people’s comfort levels and to mitigate workplace risks. We look forward to you both sharing the best practices for COVID-19 thermal scans & public health.
Quote 0 0
Chris.Stuart
Thank you so very much for inviting us.  It has been a breakneck 90 days . . .
Quote 1 0
Benjamin Dobrin
Thank you for having me/us and we look forward to answering any questions!!
Quote 1 0
Alisa Crider acrider
Within the first 90 days of COVID-19 reaching America’s shores, Top Guard completed 45,000+ Temperature Scan service hours. That’s incredible! Tell me a little more about what it’s like assisting so many different industries with these screenings?  
Quote 0 0
Chris.Stuart
Our first call was from a Senior Community that was so very far ahead of the curve.  Walking hand in hand with them was a crucial part of learning about how to best do Temp Screenings.  From there it has been almost 100% businesses and government buildings.  As the challenges with food-related manufacturing happened, we were right there at the forefront.
Quote 2 0
Alisa Crider acrider
That's wonderful. Before we get into the weeds let me ask this! The vast majority are not showing COVID-19 symptoms, why is it still important to ensure employees temperature are taken every day? 
Quote 0 0
Benjamin Dobrin
As businesses and governmental agencies start to reopen, we must all be ready to use developed practices to ensure the safety of workers and clients/consumers.
Quote 2 0
Benjamin Dobrin
....and in the fall, of course, educational facilities
Quote 1 0
Alisa Crider acrider
It's so important. When developing your SOPs what were the potential HIPPA concerns with the temperature scans?
Quote 0 0
Chris.Stuart
Two distinct reasons in my humble opinion -- the first is to create a reasonable barrier to any disease/illness and also to meet employee/visitor expectations about health and safety.
Quote 0 0
Benjamin Dobrin
That is a great question!!  If the agency doesn't write names/identifying information down, it does not become a HIPAA issue.  Companies need to be aware of their record keeping, because if you do start keeping HIPAA data, the data systems need to have pretty serious security measures.

Temperature screening is just that....screening.  We are trying to identify people and then address their needs individually.
Quote 0 0
Alisa Crider acrider
If a business is implementing their own temperature screening and does not have an infrared scanning thermometer will a minimal touch forehead thermometer work? Any other advice with which thermometer is best? 
Quote 0 0
Benjamin Dobrin
And temperature screening is not a certifiable activity...you do not have to be a licensed medical professional to do this!!
Quote 0 0
Bob McKenna
With the recent announcement by WHO that transmission by asymptomatic people is less likely than originally thought, this becomes even more important and confidence-inducing, wouldn't you agree?
Quote 0 0
Chris.Stuart
As we developed the Standard Operating Procedure for Temperature Scans, it became apparent from the endless series of phone calls that I fielded from businesses of all sizes that they would benefit greatly.  We thus chose to make it available to anyone/everyone it might assist.  Please feel free to grab it off of the 757recovery blog or email me at cstuart@topguardinc.com  
Quote 1 0
Chris.Stuart
Bob McKenna wrote:
With the recent announcement by WHO that transmission by asymptomatic people is less likely than originally thought, this becomes even more important and confidence-inducing, wouldn't you agree?

Sir, unquestionably.  Information overload, coupled with the conflicting information that has transpired during the past 90 days, makes it especially important to comfort people. 
Quote 0 0
Benjamin Dobrin
The WHO announcement (the second one, not the first that said asymptomatic transmission was a non-entity) is better news, but it does not mean we should let down our guard.    While we seem to be doing better, it will take individuals, business, and the entire community to remain vigilant in our prevention and control endeavors....
The CDC recently announced that cleaning surfaces due to surface transmission wasn't as important as we once thought, but we still need to keep surfaces clean.  Everything makes a difference.   Cleaning surfaces, air flow, masks, and social distances.   I would rather err on the side of safety.  Masks, for example, are a relatively easy and simple behavior change.  If they work (and they do work to reduce transmission!!), great, but if they don't- it is a very low cost (economically, socially, behaviorally, etc) mechanism.
Quote 1 0
Alisa Crider acrider
Have you, making yourself so public about temperature scans, had any inquiries from the non profit sector? 
Quote 0 0
Chris.Stuart
Have you, making yourself so public about temperature scans, had any inquiries from the non profit sector? 

Non-profits have unquestionably been calling about temp scans -- the simple challenge of having a staffer drive a van full of people from destination A to destination B was fairly simple before, but is now replete with challenges involving PPE, temperature scans, etc., etc., etc., usually with a budget that did not in any way take COVID-19 into account.  Have been proud to make our experiences available to them -- only one turned out to be a customer -- the rest just needed to determine what the "best practices" are and implement from there. 
Quote 0 0
Alisa Crider acrider
Are there variations in the way businesses are dealing with a high temperature? 
Quote 0 0
Benjamin Dobrin
One thing I want to be clear about...not all fevers = Covid.  All the other conditions that have existed throughout human history that led to elevated temperatures have not miraculously disappeared!!  So please be aware, fever does not mean Covid!!

The other side of that coin is, of course, fever is one of the most common symptoms of Covid.  So, it is better to be safe than sorry!!

Fevers during screening means follow-up!!!!    Businesses need to have protocols in place how to handle high temperature individuals when identified.  
Quote 2 0
Chris.Stuart
Are there variations in the way businesses are dealing with a high temperature? 

Most certainly -- after being retested (a regular protocol) and still testing hot, however, a "head home and quarantine" seems to be the most common. . .
Quote 0 0
Amy Jordan ajordan
One of the challenges with getting back to work is daycare and in person schooling.  Have you seen temperature scans being conducted in these environments?  
Quote 2 0
Alisa Crider acrider
That makes good sense. Can businesses require employees to take their own temperatures before coming to work?
Quote 0 0
Chris.Stuart
One of the challenges with getting back to work is daycare and in person schooling.  Have you seen temperature scans being conducted in these environments?  

Hello Amy -- hoping you and yours are faring well.  I am going to take the "fifth," given that we are not staffing any of those types of locations AND because children with running noses, fevers and other assorted issues seem to go hand in hand 🙃     
Quote 0 0
Benjamin Dobrin
That makes good sense. Can businesses require employees to take their own temperatures before coming to work?

Employers make all sorts of demands on employees...uniforms, codes of conduct, work hours, hygiene expectations, etc.  This is no different.  To protect the other employees and the customers/clients this is a relatively simple, non-intrusive, and quick mechanism.
Quote 0 0
Alisa Crider acrider
Tell us a little more about the mask mandate and the do’s and don’ts when wearing a mask? Are employers required to provide cloth face coverings to workers? Do the inexpensive masks work fine?
Quote 0 0
Benjamin Dobrin
I will answer you questions in order...standby, I am a slow typer!!!

The Governor's mandate for masks (Executive Order 63) is pretty clear,....Employees need to wear masks.

The biggest do, as it were, is to wear it correctly!!!  I have been amazed, and somewhat discouraged by the number of people I see in public wearing masks incorrectly.  The mask needs to cover the mouth AND nose.    The EO actually says...

A. Face Coverings Required-Patrons
All patrons in the Commonwealth aged ten and over shall when entering, exiting,
traveling through, and spending time inside the settings listed below cover their mouth and nose
with a face covering, as described and recommended by the CDC:
Quote 0 0
Alisa Crider acrider
What resources are available for businesses who are deciding if they should reopen their business?
Quote 0 0
Benjamin Dobrin
Employers are not required to provide masks, but many are doing so to ensure that they are appropriate, and often uniform in appearance.

Inexpensive maks work fine, as long as they cover mouth AND nose.

Remember, these are not medical grade filters/respirators.  These do not keep you from inhaling the virus.  They keep you from spreading this droplet borne disease by sneezing or coughing on other people.
Quote 0 0
Benjamin Dobrin
I also want to post about the exceptions from the EO...

D. Exceptions

The requirement to wear a face covering does not apply to following:
1. While eating or drinking;
2. Individuals exercising or using exercise equipment;
3. Any person who has trouble breathing, or is unconscious, incapacitated, or otherwise
unable to remove the face covering without assistance;
4. Any person seeking to communicate with the hearing impaired and for which the mouth
needs to be visible;
5. When temporary removal of the face covering is necessary to secure government or
medical services; and
6. Persons with health conditions that prohibit wearing a face covering. Nothing in this
Order shall require the use of a face covering by any person for whom doing so would be
contrary to his or her health or safety because of a medical condition.

Any person who declines to wear a face covering because of a medical condition shall
not be required to produce or carry medical documentation verifying the stated condition nor
shall the person be required to identify the precise underlying medical condition
Quote 0 0
Alisa Crider acrider
This has been an interesting conversation! Thank you both for your time. Any final remarks before we wrap up?
Quote 0 0
Chris.Stuart
Thank you so much for the opportunity -- hope it is helpful to businesses wrestling with the trials and travails of reopening.  Merely advise if I can be of any further assistance.
Quote 1 0
Benjamin Dobrin
Thank you for the opportunity!!

My closing remarks...

Please stay safe, stay healthy, and let's all do what it takes to keep all of us safe and healthy.  We are all in this together.  The choices we make can impact not only our health, but the health of everyone around us.

And today, like all other days, is a great day to be a Marlin!!!!!

Thank you!!

BDD
Quote 1 0
Alisa Crider acrider
Thank you both! You know I am a very proud Marlin! Honored to serve on the alumni council, too. Thanks again and stay healthy and safe! 😷
Quote 0 0