Douglas L. Smith Doug Smith
Good morning everyone, I am Doug Smith with the Hampton Roads Alliance and I am excited to get the ball rolling on our first 757 COVID-19 Business Recovery Forum Live Expert Q & A
Quote 5 0
Bryan K. Stephens
Good morning everyone, I am Doug Smith with the Hampton Roads Alliance and I am excited to get the ball rolling on our first 757 COVID-19 Business Recovery Forum Live Expert Q & A
Thanks Doug!
Quote 0 0
I know we are all used to being in a room together or being on a call, but I hope that by the end of our time together today, we will all be a little more comfortable with this message board platform and sharing ideas in this manner. Joining me to answer your questions today is Bryan Stephens CEO of the Hampton Roads Chamber, a man you know as a tireless advocate for our business community.
Quote 0 0
USDOT/ Maritime
Thank you for setting up this forum! Our ports and supply chains are still moving strong to help businesses recover.
Quote 2 0
john W Martin
We  are so glad you guys are doing this forum - real leadership.  For all viewers/ participants please make a comment so you will automatically receive updates / latest entries by Doug and Bryan. If not, just hit your refresh button every now and then.
Quote 0 0
When the COVID-19 crisis struck, our regional partners including Bryan’s Hampton Roads Chamber, Bob McKenna at The Va Peninsula Chamber, Jim Spore at ReInvent Hampton Roads, Shawn Avery at the Hampton Roads Workforce Alliance, Bill Mann with the Greater Peninsula Workforce Council and Jeff Tanner with the ODU Strome College of Business started talking on an almost daily basis
Quote 3 0
JR Hipple
Great to hear about USDOT supply chain!
Quote 1 0
Today, Bryan and I will answer questions and share information about our collaboration with our peers.
Quote 0 0
Michael L Allen, Commercial Real Estate Invest Pro 
What a great resource to help sort thru the fire hose of information we are all receiving

Michael L Allen
757-672-8756

Quote 0 0
Bryan K. Stephens
When the COVID-19 crisis struck, our regional partners including Bryan’s Hampton Roads Chamber, Bob McKenna at The Va Peninsula Chamber, Jim Spore at ReInvent Hampton Roads, Shawn Avery at the Hampton Roads Workforce Alliance, Bill Mann with the Greater Peninsula Workforce Council and Jeff Tanner with the ODU Strome College of Business started talking on an almost daily basis

Great collaboration! 
Quote 0 0
Bryan from your vantage point what has been the tenor of your conversations with business and political leaders in our region these last couple of weeks?
Quote 0 0
Bryan K. Stephens
Bryan from your vantage point what has been the tenor of your conversations with business and political leaders in our region these last couple of weeks?

Business and elected leaders are hungry for information.  I think this forum will help.
Quote 1 0
JR Hipple
As Governor Northam said yesterday, we are in for the long haul. One of the keys to managing this crisis is communications, communications, communications. You all are helping to make this happen.
Quote 0 0
Bryan - your Chamber has done a terrific job consolidating information about the resources available to our businesses., but there is so much information out there. What on your site has been the most helpful?
Quote 0 0
As we are learning about pandemics, each metropolitan area has its own unique case curve.  I have seen some information from the Virginia Department of Health that is suggesting that Virginia as a whole will hit its peak in the end of May.  The Peninsula Health District appears to be at least 2-3 weeks ahead of the state averages.  It looks like the Peninsula is having some success in bending the curve. So that businesses can start making cash flow projections, it is essential to understand the impact and duration. What is the best local source for real data?

Michael L Allen
757-672-8756

Quote 0 0
Bryan K. Stephens
Bryan - your Chamber has done a terrific job consolidating information about the resources available to our businesses., but there is so much information out there. What on your site has been the most helpful?

We have consolidated information on all the assistance programs into one link on our website www,hrchamber.com.  All federal, state and local assistance programs are on the site as links.  The SBA programs are receiving the most hits, over 3000 in two weeks.  
Quote 0 0
JR Hipple
Bryan and Doug, In your discussions with CEOs in the region and beyond, what is the timeline they are planning around for this crisis? It has been reported that CEOs in China believe they are halfway through this, and they've been at it for three months. 
Quote 0 0
Bryan, you and I were on a call with Senator Warner and 70 regional business leaders last Thursday.  I think we learned 2 things - much of what we know about how this crisis is anecdotal information and businesses are thirsty for information. After that call our group of partner organizations launched a business survey that has already been taken by nearly 400 companies. Let’s talk about that survey for a moment
Quote 0 0
Bryan K. Stephens
JR Hipple wrote:
Bryan and Doug, In your discussions with CEOs in the region and beyond, what is the timeline they are planning around for this crisis? It has been reported that CEOs in China believe they are halfway through this, and they've been at it for three months. 

Most are following federal and state guidance on this.  Hopeful for end of June.    
Quote 0 0
Bryan K. Stephens
Bryan, you and I were on a call with Senator Warner and 70 regional business leaders last Thursday.  I think we learned 2 things - much of what we know about how this crisis is anecdotal information and businesses are thirsty for information. After that call our group of partner organizations launched a business survey that has already been taken by nearly 400 companies. Let’s talk about that survey for a moment

OK...important we understand the impact on our businesses with quantifiable data.   
Quote 1 0
The first wave of our 757 Business Leaders survey just closed, but you can still take the survey through the link on the front page of this site. Some initial finding jump out - 42% of the respondents said they have already reduced their workforce and 61% expect to see greater reductions over the next month. Bryan, How do your see the CARES Act or other resources helping to prevent some of these reductions?
Quote 1 0
Steve Harrison Steve
United Way has some great information available at the following link:  http://www.ghrconnects.org/tiles/index/display?alias=COVID19
As we are learning about pandemics, each metropolitan area has its own unique case curve.  I have seen some information from the Virginia Department of Health that is suggesting that Virginia as a whole will hit its peak in the end of May.  The Peninsula Health District appears to be at least 2-3 weeks ahead of the state averages.  It looks like the Peninsula is having some success in bending the curve. So that businesses can start making cash flow projections, it is essential to understand the impact and duration. What is the best local source for real data?
Quote 4 0
Here is a site that offers some great number crunching to compare how Virginia is doing as compared to other states showing the data in linear and logarithmic chartes -http://91-divoc.com/pages/covid-visualization/

Michael L Allen
757-672-8756

Quote 0 0
Bryan K. Stephens
The first wave of our 757 Business Leaders survey just closed, but you can still take the survey through the link on the front page of this site. Some initial finding jump out - 42% of the respondents said they have already reduced their workforce and 61% expect to see greater reductions over the next month. Bryan, How do your see the CARES Act or other resources helping to prevent some of these reductions?

Businesses need to understand and apply for the Paycheck Protection Program.  The Paycheck Protection Program is one of the largest sections of the CARES Act and in my opinion, the most important provision in the new stimulus bill for most small businesses. This new program sets aside $350 billion in government-backed loans from private banks that can, in some cases, be converted to grants, which means that if you meet the requirements you won't need to pay the loan back.  Information can be found at SBA.gov.  
Quote 0 0
Bryan: Here is another stat from our survey - almost 4 in 10 business leaders are saying the crisis has caused them to change their business model. I get that with a restaurant shifting to takeout or delivery, but how are you seeing other industries shift their models to adapt to this crisis? What further changes do you think we might see?
Quote 0 0
Bryan K. Stephens
Bryan: Here is another stat from our survey - almost 4 in 10 business leaders are saying the crisis has caused them to change their business model. I get that with a restaurant shifting to takeout or delivery, but how are you seeing other industries shift their models to adapt to this crisis? What further changes do you think we might see?

Leading a remote team is very different than in-person, requiring different skill sets.  Again, business leaders need to adapt and educate themselves on how to lead their teams "virtually".  Same can be said of addressing their customer base.  Taking orders, getting payment, getting electronic signatures all require business leaders to think through how to get things done in this unprecedented new environment. 
Quote 2 0
Bryan: the knock on our region over the years has been that we do not collaborate well. You and I both know that is a false narrative today - just look at the $5B transportation package created and funded by our regional leaders, or the Southeastern Virginia Regional Industrial Facilities Authority or the Regional Broadband Authority or even the complete relaunch of our organization the Hampton Roads Alliance. You and I talked this morning about a call you have later today with Senator Warner and other leaders talk about that a little bit please
Quote 0 0

Leading a remote team is very different than in-person, requiring different skill sets.  Again, business leaders need to adapt and educate themselves on how to lead their teams "virtually".  Same can be said of addressing their customer base.  Taking orders, getting payment, getting electronic signatures all require business leaders to think through how to get things done in this unprecedented new environment. 
  Mindful of all the virtual meetings (Zoom, Teams, Gotomeeting). it would be helpful to share some best practices: test your tech and connection before the meeting, mute your mike unless you are speaking, send out an agenda beforehand to keep the meeting focused and effective

Michael L Allen
757-672-8756

Quote 0 0
Bryan K. Stephens
Bryan: the knock on our region over the years has been that we do not collaborate well. You and I both know that is a false narrative today - just look at the $5B transportation package created and funded by our regional leaders, or the Southeastern Virginia Regional Industrial Facilities Authority or the Regional Broadband Authority or even the complete relaunch of our organization the Hampton Roads Alliance. You and I talked this morning about a call you have later today with Senator Warner and other leaders talk about that a little bit please

I am so glad we have been working to enhance collaboration in the region for a few years now.  If not, we would be working to build relationships instead of working to solve problems for our community.  Most probably do not know the routine meetings we hold to discuss regional issues and formulate and implement solutions.  You gave a couple of examples of this. 

Yes, I have a conference call with Senator Warner this afternoon to discuss our collaborative efforts and how he may assist.  
Quote 0 0
john W Martin
Speaking of regionalism, as we (SIR) we were looking over the early comments on the last "open ended" question of the 757 COVID-19 Business Leader Survey, we saw this response:
  • "Thank you for your collective and cooperative leadership - the latest example that the entire 757 business community is united as one region."
Quote 2 0
Bryan K. Stephens
Speaking of regionalism, as we (SIR) we were looking over the early comments on the last "open ended" question of the 757 COVID-19 Business Leader Survey, we saw this response:
  • "Thank you for your collective and cooperative leadership - the latest example that the entire 757 business community is united as one region."
👍
Quote 1 0
Bryan, I have enjoyed our back and forth regarding regional collaboration and the many challenges our region is facing as we respond to this health crisis. This has been an excellent way to launch our new Forum. I look forward to watching and participating in the conversations that get started on this platform As I said at the outset there is a real desire for local businesses to find ways to sift through the overwhelming amounts of information coming in to garner the resources each company needs to remain viable in this unprecedented time. I believe this Forum can provide just such value.
Quote 1 0
Forum Admin
Thank you to everyone that participated in this week's kick-off discussion. Be sure to come back next week for another discussion with a local expert. In the meantime, please take this short survey to tell us how COVID-19 is affecting your 757 business. 
Quote 1 0
Cathy Lewis Cathy Lewis
To the advice re: leading meetings remotely, I would add that the leader must project confidence whether he/she feels it or not. The advice to check tech ahead of time is key to this. And I've found engagement increases when the leader on the call is enthusiastic and engages participants even more than they might in an in-person meeting.
Quote 3 0
Erik J. Olson 
100% @Cathy Lewis!  But I'll add...
As a leader don't feign overconfidence. Admit what you don't know and to your concerns, but be confident in your decisions. 

~
Erik J. Olson
Array Digital
thisisarray.com
Quote 1 0
Zack Miller ZackMillerSays
And I've found engagement increases when the leader on the call is enthusiastic and engages participants even more than they might in an in-person meeting.

Nobody will get behind a "leader" who is negative or doesn't pull the best out of their team during good or bad times. @Cathy Lewis how are you doing through all of this craziness?
Marketing made simple, delivered straight to your inbox at 10:13am every Monday morning. Access here.
Quote 1 0