Erik J. Olson 
As business leaders, we're probably feeling both anxious to reopen the economy, and uneasy at the same time. 

What do you think?

Is it too soon to reopen?

~
Erik J. Olson
Array Digital
thisisarray.com
Quote 2 0
Emanuel Baker KINGCUTS
I am both anxious and uneasy. I am in the beauty industry and social distancing is very difficult to accomplish in our working environments. The possibility of endangering the health and safety of my customers and employees brings me great unease. I do think it is too soon to open but my opinion come with great economic strain also.
Quote 1 0
Josh Torres Image360
I think reopening would be great. Those in the brackets considered to be more effected by the virus should still remain vigilant. The social distancing will probably remain in effect for some time as it will be the "new" norm for a while.The good thing is that higher temps are coming and they are finding with more testing that the mortality rate is closer to .1-.2%. 
Josh Torres   CEO
Image360 Newport News
http://image360newportnews.com/
Quote 1 0
Zack Miller ZackMillerSays
@Emanuel Baker what will make you comfortable enough to make that decision and open? Also, what are you doing to make your customers, who will have to go in store, and be around others, to feel like they are taken care of? 
Marketing made simple, delivered straight to your inbox at 10:13am every Monday morning. Access here.
Quote 0 0
@Josh Torres is business up or down for you now?
Marketing made simple, delivered straight to your inbox at 10:13am every Monday morning. Access here.
Quote 0 0
@Erik J. Olson@Erik J. Olson it's a weird questions since much of the "new normal (2nd most overused word in 2020)" was quickly moving into action anyway. Companies were recognizing that they didn't need to have as large of overhead as they once did and that a footprint in hundreds of square feet could suffice not thousands. Why have a pretty retail space, when housing more products and selling online was far more lucrative?

5-10 years from now Walmart may have 0 retail space and focus solely on curbside pickup and online deliveries using their already exisiting "ast mile locations". It's already happening. 

This is really the Amazonification and Netflix and Chill world we live in. Large stadiums were being built with thousands of less fans to attend, movie theaters were losing to streaming, traditional retail and malls were moving largely online(hopefully), etc etc etc. Companies were forced to build experience based businesses online and in person. People want the convenience to do everything from home and not have to leave the house. Heck, it's not like grocery delivery or curbside pickup is a new thing. A phenomenon like we are going through, imo, is really pulling the right side of a bell curve into reality. Those folks who didn't want to shift, are now forced to. 

So, when will the economy be back open? I dunno, in many cases, it never closed. If you want to be ready for situations like this, and it doesn't need to be a pandemic, you (as a business owner) need to constantly evaluate where your business is and where it's heading in parallel with what the world is evolving to. 

Things to ponder:

1. Are masks going away? ever?
2. Is my process strong internal and client facing?
3. Am I still in a rut of 1997 technology that is actually losing business for me?
4. Communicating with m clients in their sandbox. Do I even know where their sandbox is?
5. My way or their way. Am I creating an experience that works for me... or ultimately works for those who are my customers. 
6. Am I okay with status quo and just getting by. 
Quote 2 0
Emanuel Baker KINGCUTS
@Zack Miller @Josh Torres thank you kindly for your responses. Im in the beauty industry(Barbershop/Salons) and social distancing is not the norm in these atmospheres. As a result of this I have to insure the customers safety and also do things to ease the anxieties from all of this. I would say I've been ahead of the curve. My shop has been online appointment based for almost 10 years now. I knew the sitting all day in a barbershop or salon was becoming a day of the past. Being appointment driven automatically reduced the amount of people in a location. Because my type of business falls in the medium risk category(CDC specifications) I have to make sure proper PPE and engineering controls are established. Right now im restucturing my 2 locations to make them social distant compliant as much as possible ie only 3 stylist per location. I also do a virtual barbershop via Zoom to stay connected with my customers. In there we socialize and also offer stay at home grooming tips.
Quote 1 0
Bruce the Small Business Guy
It’s time to allow businesses the choice to reopen. Some will, some won’t. If we font start the engines soon this tailspin may become too much to overcome.  Herd immunity is coming and this is the catalyst needed for it and the economy 
Quote 1 0
Chris Stone, PE, F.NSPE, F.ASCE cstone
I think we need to do more testing and contact tracing before the "general public" feels safe about going into bars, restaurants or attending large public gatherings. I do think we should start opening up in stages and then let the doctors and scientist collect data that supports a staggered approach to re-opening businesses. I do believe we will eventually hit "herd immunity" but I am honestly in the demographic that should be cautious.  That being said, it will be sometime before I return to a bar or restaurant, sadly. I do my part, and wear a mask when I go to the grocery store. I do not wear a mask when I go for my morning run, but stay clear of anyone on the street. My belief is that until we have a vaccine, the general public will always be leery. As for my "personal hygiene", my barber is 75 and I do not want to put him in danger, so I have been giving myself my own haircuts.  Fortunately it was not hard for me!  Be well.  Be Safe. 

Chris Stone PE, F.NSPE, F.ASCE, LEED AP
Senior Principal

C L A R K N E X S E N
100 Years | 100 Days of Giving

4525 Main Street Suite 1400
Virginia Beach, VA 23462
757.455.5800 Tel
757.615.8318 Cell
cstone@clarknexsen.com
http://www.clarknexsen.com

Quote 1 0
@Emanuel Baker Are you opening May 15? What is your plan to have a rockstar rollout? 
Quote 0 0
my barber is 75 and I do not want to put him in danger, so I have been giving myself my own haircuts.  Fortunately it was not hard for me! 

How is the hair looking @Chris Stone, PE, F.NSPE, F.ASCE@Chris Stone?
Quote 0 0
It’s time to allow businesses the choice to reopen. Some will, some won’t. If we font start the engines soon this tailspin may become too much to overcome.  Herd immunity is coming and this is the catalyst needed for it and the economy 

How do you determine what to listen to and what not to when it comes to opening or not?
Quote 0 0